JUDE LAW SUES MURDOCH’S TABLOID FOR HACKING HIS VOICEMAIL
British actor Jude Law has become the latest high-profile figure to file an invasion of privacy lawsuit against News International, the umbrella group for Rupert Murdoch’s news operations in the U.K., after receiving evidence from Scotland Yard that his voicemail had been hacked by a private detective working for the Sunday tabloid News of the World. Actress Sienna Miller, with whom Law had a relationship at the time of the hacking, had previously filed suit against the company. The London Independent said today (Thursday) that the publisher has offered Miller $160,000 to settle the claim. The newspaper also said that it had learned that Graham Shear, a lawyer who has represented Law and other celebrities, has also filed a claim against the company. Shear told the newspaper, “The police came to see me and alerted me that I was the subject of, or appeared to be the subject of, phone hacking relating to a client or clients during 2004 and 2005.” Meanwhile, Max Mosley, the former longtime head of the FIA, the Formula One racing organization, has told Vanity Fair that he is paying the legal fees of other phone-hacking victims of News of the World. Mosley himself is also suing News International for breach of privacy.