Tuesday, September 17, 2019

HAS ONE DIRECTION SIGNED WITH NICKELODEON? YES, SAYS NICK; NO SAYS ONE

March 26, 2012 by · Leave a Comment 

Niall Horan

A member of the hot new British boy band One Direction has denied rumors that Nickelodeon channel has signed the group to a development deal days after the its first CD debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard album chart. “There’s no sign of a TV show in the pipeline,” said 20-year-old Niall Horan. The denial seemed particularly confusing given that Nickelodeon had hours earlier confirmed the rumors. “The rumors are true, our live-action slate does include a development project for @onedirection. Welcome to the family!” Nickelodeon had tweeted. Landing the five-member band, who had been assembled by Simon Cowell and placed third on the British version of Cowell’s The X Factor, could represent a coup for Nickelodeon. With little exposure aside from YouTube videos of their British performances, they have become overnight sensations in the U.S. They have touched off such frenzy among fans in the U.S. that, according to TMZ, 100 bodyguards have been hired to protect them on their current American concert tour. Reminiscent of the Beatles’ concert performances in the 1960s, they are reportedly performing only four songs during each show.