Sunday, October 20, 2019

BBC SAYS IT WILL INVESTIGATE SEX CHARGES AGAINST EX-HOST

October 8, 2012 by · Leave a Comment 

The BBC, which has been accused of ignoring widespread rumors that one of its principal hosts of programs aimed at children sexually abused them, said on Monday that it will launch a “comprehensive examination” of the charges after a recently announced police investigation is completed. The announcement by BBC director-general George Entwistle follows the broadcast last week by commercial rival ITV of a documentary in which five women alleged that they were molested by the late Jimmy Savile when they were children. Since then, some 40 other women have come forward with similar allegations. The BBC’s Newsnight program had prepared a similar report about Savile last year that was spiked at the last minute. Appearing on the BBC’s Today program, Entwistle said, “The first thing I want to say is that the women involved here have gone through something awful, something I deeply regret they should have to go through and I would like to apologize on behalf of the organization to each and every one of them for what they’ve had to endure here.” He said that the BBC’s own investigation of the matter would await assurance from the police “that there is no danger of us in any way compromising or contaminating [their] investigation.” Entwistle took over the job of BBC director general last month, but previously had been a high-ranking BBC executive. Meanwhile, today’s London Independent has quoted a “high-placed source” in the BBC newsroom as saying that BBC executives “knew for a long time [about the allegations against Savile] but only now has the BBC seen fit to respond… more should have been done.”