Sunday, October 24, 2021

DID ANTI-ISLAM FILM ACTUALLY SPARK BENGHAZI ATTACK?

October 16, 2012 by · 1 Comment 

At least two major news organizations have stood by their original reporting that the Sept. 11 attacks on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi were instigated by protesters outraged over an anti-Islamic video, produced in the U.S. titled The Innocence of Muslims. Last week the State Department maintained that the attacks were planned in advance and were not aware of any protests occurring at the consulate. On Monday the Huffington Post website noted that Reuters reporter Hadeel Al-Shalchi commented on Twitter that she reported what people, whom she met face-to-face, “told me they saw that day.” She declined to discuss the matter further with the Huffington Post. The New York Times, which also had reporters at the consulate during the attack, was another news organization that reported that the demonstrators were motivated by the video. Times foreign editor Joseph Kahn, in an email to the Huffington Post, said that the newspaper’s reporter “observed unarmed as well as armed people at the scene, and it was clear that at least some of the people involved in the incident were informed and motivated by the video.” Kahn added: “It may well be true that the attack was planned before the video or simply took advantage of the video. … But there is no reason to believe that what participants in the attack told our reporter was false, or that we were wrong to report it.”