Sunday, December 15, 2019

DANCING WITH THE STARS TRIPS IN RATINGS, MAY BE CUT BACK

December 7, 2012 by · Leave a Comment 

ABC may be considering cutting back Dancing with the Stars to one series per year beginning in the spring (a new DWTS season is slated to begin on March 18), the New York Post reported today (Friday), citing an unnamed production source. Despite the fact that last week’s season finale drew 16.7 million viewers, making it ABC’s top-rated telecast, that figure was down almost three million from last year, and the season itself saw a rating decline of 20 percent, the Post observed. “They have to figure something out,” the newspaper’s source said. “Maybe change the judges. The show needs a total makeover.” But Disney CFO Jay Rasulo may have put his finger on the problem when he told an investors conference in New York earlier in the week that mounting an all-star season, featuring past winners, may have been a mistake. “Turns out people didn’t want to see people who could dance. They wanted people who couldn’t dance,” Rasulo said. An ABC spokeswoman said that no decision has been made about airing the show in the fall next year, “but we have no indication that it won’t be on the schedule.”