Sunday, April 20, 2014

3D TREATMENT FOR STAR WARS II & III SHELVED

January 29, 2013 by · Leave a Comment 

Disney’s acquisition of Lucasfilm last year and the subsequent announcement that it will release a new series of Star Wars movies, have had an unexpected consequence — the indefinite postponement of 3D versions of Episodes II (Attack of the Clones) and III (Revenge of the Sith). In a statement, Lucasfilm said on Monday, “Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy, we will now focus 100% of our efforts on Star Wars: Episode VII.” The episode, which Disney said on Friday will be directed by J.J. Abrams, has been set for release in 2015. The 3D re-release of Episode I (Phantom Menace) grossed $43.5 million during its run in 3D last year, a figure that was widely regarded as a disappointment.