Monday, January 18, 2021

WHY DID DIRECTOR DEPART ANT-MAN AFTER EIGHT YEARS?

May 27, 2014 by · Leave a Comment 

The surprising departure of director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World’s End) from Marvel’s upcoming Ant-Man, has thrown the spotlight on, of all things, Cornettos, the packaged British ice-cream cone that Wright has managed to incorporate as a gag into each of his previous films (and no doubt would have figured in Ant-Man). Wright’s only “comment” came in a photo he posted on Twitter showing silent comedian Buster Keaton despondently clutching a Cornetto. The photo was later deleted, but not before it was retweeted by Wright’s fans. Shortly thereafter, Joss Whedon, director of another Marvel blockbuster, The Avengers, posted a picture of himself on Twitter, in which his head is bowed as he lifts a Cornetto in a kind of salute. In a joint statement, Marvel and Wright said that they had amicably agreed to part ways due to “differences in their vision of the film.” The split raised eyebrows throughout the industry inasmuch as Wright had been involved in the project for eight years. The script had undergone at least three rewrites by Wright and co-writer Joe Cornish. But according to Umberto Gonzalez at LatinoReview.com, Marvel assigned another rewrite to “two very low-credit writers,” one of whom worked for Marvel in-house. The rewrite that Wright saw, said Gonzalez, was “poorer, homogenized, and not Edgar’s vision” and represented, he thought, a “lack of faith” in him and Cornish.