Tuesday, December 7, 2021

HOLLYWOOD FUNDRAISERS FOR CLAY AIKEN ACCUSE HIM OF LYING

November 7, 2014 by · Leave a Comment 

The organizers of a Los Angeles fundraiser for former American Idol contestant Clay Aiken in his losing bid for a Congressional seat in North Carolina are furious after news reports appeared indicating that British filmmakers Simon and Jonathan Chinn had been filming a documentary about his campaign, with plans to turn it into a miniseries for Comcast’s Esquire channel. Actor/producer Steve Tyler told the website FrontiersLA.com that those attending the fundraiser — and were asked to sign releases — were told the the documentary was being filmed by the BBC and that it would not air in the U.S. Tyler fired off a letter to Aiken, in which he said, "Apparently you had yourself covered with a reality TV show deal the entire time, just in case you didn’t win. I cannot speak for the NC Voters or contributors, but I can speak for myself and many of your Los Angeles supporters when I say we feel duped, taken advantage of and lied to." He added, caustically: "I do hope you realize this prevents you from ever running again for an elected office. You will no longer be credible as someone that wants to help the public more than your need for fame. Had the LA donors known you would personally benefit from their donations and appearance at the event – they would not have donated to your campaign." However, Daily Variety today (Friday) quoted a source close to the production as saying that Aiken was not paid for his appearance in the documentary, nor was anyone else who was filmed for it.