Saturday, September 18, 2021

WHY DID A&E CANCEL ITS SECOND-HIGHEST-RATED SHOW?

September 12, 2014 by · Leave a Comment 

The A&E cable network has acknowledged that it canceled its second-highest-rated series Longmire (behind Duck Dynasty) earlier this year because its audience was too old and because it didn’t own the series. Noting that half the show’s audience was over the age of 60, A&E Senior VP Dan Silberman told the Wall Street Journal, "We sell the shows to advertisers based on the demographics of 18-49 and 25-54, and the audience just wasn’t there." The series averaged 5.6 million viewers per week, far more than AMC’s Mad Men and FX’s Justified. Commented the Journal: "Longmire’s fate is reflective of two growing trends in the television industry_the obsession of advertisers with younger viewers and the desire of TV networks to own as much of their content as possible." Silberman said that Longmire, produced by Warner Bros. TV, was "very expensive" and that the network would not share in later profits from syndication. "It was a business decision," he said.